Nearly 6 months ago I set out on a quest to provide 20 post about my Top 5….. I did it as an exercise to think about posting a little differently. Some posts were more personal while others focused on hints, tips, tricks or other useful information. What I learned from the process was rather surprising in some aspects and completely predictable in others.
Let’s start with the predictable outcomes.
- Five is really a good number. It is not too overwhelming but at the same time feels substantial.
- The most popular posts (based on the number of views) are in the hints and tips categories.
- My most popular post of the series was the Top 5 Yarn Label Lies.
- When your mind is blocked about finding something to write about, having a starting point like Top 5…can be really helpful. Usually there is something going on in your world that you can categorize in a “top 5″ methodology.
The things that I learned that either surprised me or just provided new information:
- Although I did not specify a “finish date” for this series, I would have never predicted that is would take nearly 6 months of posts. I was expecting something close to 2 – 3 months.
- Even if no one else finds it helpful having the postings all listed together, I find that I jump to them on a regular basis. I guess this is what the blogging experts are talking about when they say you should write about what matters to you!
- The headline of the post ultimately really matters. This is one of the next areas I am going to focus on in my blog postings.
- Having an “experiment” to focus on can really be a good motivator. This experiment was also an unnamed driver in my current blog experiment.
So we know that based on readership, Top 5 Yarn Label Lies was the most popular. But do you know why/how the first picture in the post relates to the topic? The first person to post a comment with the right answer will receive a special gift package from my box of fun knitting goodies (US mailing addresses only please).
Just to add to the fun, a second package will be sent to a randomly selected winner from the folks who guess which post of the 20 I personally have referred back to the most often. (Once again, US mailing addresses only please). Winner to be selected from comments received before midnight (PDT) July 20, 2013.
So get to commenting….there are chances to win cool stuff!